Installing xrdp on Ubuntu 15.10

I recently decided to install RDP on my Ubuntu 15.10 guest host, so I could access it from my Windows environment. The native RDP worked fine except for clipboard not working which was a requirement. So I decided to install the latest version of xrdp in order to get that functionality. The installation instructions are pretty straightforward, but they are missing one key feature, and that is a login profile that is heavily customized for bash.

While the build and installation process was pretty straight-forward, I was unable to complete a login after connecting to my guest with the Windows RDP client. After spending hours trying to diagnose the cause, I found that my profile was failing to load in the RDP startup session - startvm.sh - because it runs in sh not bash, and my profile is heavily customized for bash. So here's what I had to do to get xrdp to load my bash profile and allow me to login:
  1. Create a bash version of startvm.sh
  2. $ sudo vi /etc/xrdp/startwm-bash.sh
    #!/bin/bash -l
    . /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh

  3. Make startvm-bash.sh executable
  4. sudo chmod 755 /etc/xrdp/startwm-bash.sh

  5. Edit the file /etc/xrdp/sesman.ini and set startvm-bash.sh as the DefaultWindowManager
  6. DefaultWindowManager=startwm-bash.sh

  7. Reload the xrdp configuration and restart the services
  8. sudo systemctl daemon-reload
    sudo systemctl restart xrdp-sesman.service

RDP is now working with clipboard support!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced birth is slavery

The Right to Bear Arms is Outdated and Needs to be Repealed from the Constitution

Joshua stopping the sun