I will show another me

Being a huge Genesis fan, I am obviously a fan of Peter Gabriel. I'm not crazy about his music since he left Genesis, but he is hands down one of the greatest lyricists in the history of rock'n'roll. In fact, one of his Genesis songs "The Cinema Show" was included in a college-level text book on modern poetry as THE song representative of the entire rock'n'roll genre, but I digress...

"Solsbury Hill" is sheer genius and has always been one of my favorite songs of his, but only recently have I understood the deeper meaning of the lyrics. I won't take up space with the lyrics, but you can follow along here. This is my interpretation of the song:

First verse: in a moment of clarity, he is rescued from his own life.

Second verse: he decides to turn within to rebuild himself, silently, lest anyone consider him a nutjob for thinking that he actually has the power to fix himself, because in the eyes of others, that would require Jesus-like abilities ("turning water into wine").

Third verse:
When illusion spin her net
I'm never where I want to be

  • I will never achieve the person I strive to be, the life I yearn to live, living under the shell of self-deception. I am NOT the person I want to be while I do not understand myself fully.
And liberty she pirouette
When I think that I am free

  • Furthermore, I am not only not living up to my fullest potential, but I am actually shackled, chained, imprisoned to live a life of depression, self-loathing and agony while I do not choose to live a life of freedom. There is no middle ground: I am either a "sailor of the world, bound for all ports" or I am a beaten-down, starving slave. The choice of which life to live is mine.
Watched by empty silhouettes
Who close their eyes but still can see
No one taught them etiquette
I will show another me

  • So many detractors, so many disparagers, so many daily reminders that I cannot be more than what they believe I am... But they are blind. It is THEY who lack the vision, NOT me! Well, FUCK YOU! There IS another life for me to live! I DO have the power to transform myself into my full potential! There IS another "me" stuck within this shell, and I am setting him FREE!
Today I don't need a replacement
I'll tell them what the smile on my face meant

  • And now, as I stand here at the end of the rebuilding process, I am truly reborn. I no longer need to put on a fake face, to show empty courage in a feeble attempt to convince others that I am happy in my life. On the contrary, where I am now is so overwhelmingly joyous that I cannot help but beam my delight from every pore. THIS is the smile of freedom, of self-determination and of deep, spiritual contentment.
My heart going boom boom boom
"Hey" I said "You can keep my things,
They've come to take me home."

  • In fact, things are so great here that I don't need to carry along the baggage of the past. I have an entirely new life! The possessions of the world are meaningless here. I don't need them. I am home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forced birth is slavery

The Right to Bear Arms is Outdated and Needs to be Repealed from the Constitution

Joshua stopping the sun